Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Happy Nun

It was scorching hot as I explored the beautiful ruins of Ankor Wat. I began the day at the ungodly hour of 4:30 a.m. to watch sunrise and now at 11 am I was turning into a tired 'hangry' grump. I was starting to feel the toll of 2 ½ weeks in South East Asia. Lack of sleep, excessive sun exposure, no breakfast and a parade of tuk-tuk’s fly past with happy couples cuddled up in the back was the perfect recipe for self-pity.


Originally I’d planned to be in Cambodia 4 days earlier. The intent was to join up with good family friends and tour around with them for 3 days. Yet due to a passport fiasco I missed my original flight and incidentally missed my friends' visit to Cambodia completely. Hence, here I was paying guides to take my selfies and eating alone at diners. 

Traveling alone begs those around you to ask that super annoying question all single girls in their 30’s get ‘how come you’re not married? No babies?’Arghhhh! "Nope not yet (fake laugh), unlucky in love I suppose. Table for one please?"  Incidentally this was the same question I was asked by the man who stole my i-phone in Thailand, a few days before. The nerve!

Although I am certain I love my life and I know it's ok to be alone I started to hear those familiar voices in my head. You know, the ones that warn you that if you keep this up you’ll be an old maid and die a sad lonely death surrounded by cats?

Per the usual when these voices creep in, I wrote the one girl who always makes me feel better, my sister Bria. As always her response was like liquid sunshine on my soul. “I have a feeling that something wonderful or revealing will happen in Cambodia- something you wouldn't have experienced had you gone with friends as planned. Something you'll be grateful for."

Bria was right, she’s always right about these things. So there I was wandering through the eighth wonder of the world, fully believing that any moment something amazing would happen. Little did I know my magic moment was just around the bend. As I stumbled through one of the temple alcoves I came face to face with the kindest eyes I’ve ever seen. There, cross-legged on a pile of stones sat The Happy Nun.




She motioned to me to come closer. As I did I noticed in front of her sat a small basket filled with florescent yellow and orange thread. She beamed at me with her toothless grin and motioned for me to squat down near her. Overcome by her palpable joy I did as asked. I followed her instructions as if a little girl again at my grandma’s feet.

Gently she cradled my wrist in her frail hands and tied three threads around it. As she did this she blew on my head and mumbled in Cambodian what I assumed to be a prayer. Then she looked me in the eyes and said, “Now you be lucky.  You blessed”.

I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face. She was so kind and so beautiful. Not of course in the classic sense by any means. She was missing all her teeth, her hair was shaved to a short silvery stubble and her bony body was shrouded in oversized clothes. Yet her soul shone so brightly her light was impossible to miss.



Feeling “lucky” and “blessed” I returned to the hotel for a much-needed nap. There I came across a flustered American frantically turning over couch cushions in the lobby. He’d lost his i-phone. Knowing all to well the pain of a lost i-phone I decided to help him look. After a fruitless search we got to talking and he recommended a little restaurant near the hotel called, Genevieve's.  Really?! Strange coincidence in Cambodia! Yet, there is some French influence here so maybe that’s the connection?



I decided at the very least I had to pass by and take a picture of the sign. I mean who doesn’t like the see their name in marquis? But once arrived the menu looked promising and a sweet waitress seated me at the “table for one” near the back. While deciding what to order I noticed the menu contained its namesake’s biography.

It turns out Genevieve was a 6th grade Australian teacher. She was known for always seeing the best in her students and pushing them to excel beyond their expectations. She was beloved by her graduates and stayed in contact with them several years into their careers. Genevieve died of cancer in November of 2009. In an attempt to amend his grief her widow, Richard, traveled to Cambodia. 

As fate would have it, his travels introduced him to a Cambodian woman in need of work. Together they opened Genevieve’s. The vision was to create jobs for anyone who needed one regardless of experience level. The staff shares in restaurant profits, as does the community. 10% of all proceeds are donated to sustainable efforts to improve the lives of Cambodians in Siem Reap. What an incredible way to honor the life of such a vibrant woman.



As if the day didn’t hold enough magic, hanging directly above my table was a poster-sized photo of the very nun I met among the temple ruins that morning. There she was smiling down at me with that same toothless grin and basket of thread. The tears started streaming. I knew in that moment, I was exactly where I should be. I am already living my magic moment.




My life didn’t exactly turn out the way I thought it would when I was thirteen.  I have far less to show for my 35 years than most American girls. I don’t own a car, a house, a couch, or thanks to a Thai fire dancer even a cell phone. Yet I DO have absolute confidence I’m living out the life I’m born to live. I have a peace that reaches to my core and a lightness about me that I'd never trade for conventional success. The cost of saying “yes” often means living in limbo longer than you think you can stand, yet as I learned in Siem Reap…just when you think you can’t take it anymore, wait. Because that’s when the magic happens.

1 comment: