Friday, February 28, 2014

Esperanza

My first day at Clinica Esperanza was fantastic. By the time I arrived at 7:30 am there was already a line of patients spilling out the door, over the deck on into the grass surrounding the clinic. I spent the day learning about common illnesses on the island and soaking up everything I could from Dr. Rapheal, a wonderful local pediatrician. We tested 3 children from malaria, thankfully none of which came back positive. I also learned that a plastic cup with a hole cut out the bottom makes a great spacer for asthma medications. 
Inside Clinica Esperanza
Clinica Esperanza
The Famous Miss Peggy with the poster in the airport that started this whole adventure for me!



I’ve also started working at the Public Hospital in Coxen Hole. There is a stark and tragic contrast between this and Esperanza. On my first day there I was horrified to open the door of what really appeared to be a shed outside the main building to find a woman with Dengue receiving a free flowing blood transfusion without any monitoring or medical personal in the room. The labor and delivery “unit” consisted of cots lined up side by side with nothing but buckets to use if they needed to use the bathroom. There was very little access to running water for hand washing. Many of the beds didn’t have linens and I was told many families just bring their own. Despite this Global Healing has started a wonderful pediatric clinic here and is working with UC Berkley and UCSF to bring greatly needed resources to the hospital.
Public Hospital

Labor and Delivery Ward

Operating Room

Global Healing Doctors waiting for patients to arrive


My week ended on a high note. We were invited to a joint meeting with all the local doctors and the Clinica Esperanza team in order to discuss emergency Medical Evacuation possibilities through the U.S. Military. They have decided to collaborate with us by helping to evacuate critically ill and unstable patients off the island to higher levels of care. This makes a life saving difference on the island for all the people living here who would otherwise not have such a chance. It’s such an incredible opportunity. And to put the cherry on top of it all they let me sit in the cockpit of the helicopter! 
Me with our Army Guys! 

Trying to look cool while not launch a missile accidentally

Reflecting on all the week I can’t get past the name of Clinica Esperanza. Esperanza is Spanish for hope. It couldn’t be a more fitting title and how ironic that it’s where I ended up. In the previous 6 months during the bleakest points of my depression, I found myself stripped of my ability to hope. The possibility of a brighter future felt so impossible I couldn’t even fathom it. Being such a naturally optimistic, positive person it was as if I’d completely loss the essence of myself. I distinctly remember the day I had my first glimmer of “esperanza”. It was simple and fleeting but for the few seconds it crossed my consciousness it felt like seeing a shooting star in the darkest night. 

Here I am six months later and I’ve launched myself into my greatest adventure yet, fully embracing a life I never imagined could be so colorful and working at “The Clinic of Hope”.

If you feel inspired to help me serve you can donate to my mission by clicking here. Every little bit helps! Thank you for your support! I could not do any of this without you!


No comments:

Post a Comment